in 1843 and entered the Royal Artillery in 1861. After a long and honourable
career of regimental duty he became, in 1863, Chief Instructor at the
School of Gunnery at Shoeburyness, a post he held until 1897. In October
of that year, he was transferred to Aldershot in command off the Royal
Artillery of the District. During the Second Boer War he was commanding
the Royal Artillery, South African Field Force.